Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Teachers, It's Time to Ditch Your Bag



Check out this actual picture of me leaving work last year!

Just kidding, my bag was pink.

I recently saw an article from NPR (does that make me cultured?)
in December about teachers being stressed that reminded me of my old work bag. I almost scrolled past it because reading about how stressed teachers are and seeing nothing done about it on a policy-making level, well, stresses me out. That's why I am writing this: changing the level of expectations for teachers isn't happening from the top down, so it seems we need to work from the bottom up. I digress.

Back on topic, here are some statistics I picked up while reading:

"Roughly half of teachers agree with this statement: 'The stress and disappointments involved in teaching at this school aren't really worth it.'"



"Between 30 and 40 percent of teachers leave the profession in their first five years."

That's pretty heartbreaking and inexcusable. But, I can't help but wonder if this data is partly caused by educators carrying home burdensome bags of papers to grade.

We never stop; even when we leave work, work leaves with us.

Student work is taken home, and if it makes it out of the car, begrudgingly becomes an apparition that haunts us from the dining room table until we coax it with the smooth strokes of a red pen. Relaxing is overrated when you have so much to do, right? That was formerly my opinion, and the reason I made the video below.



The article did go on to mention Patricia Jennings' Mindfulness for Teachers which I hope to check out soon. Comment below if you already have- I’d love to know your opinion. While I value and practice mindfulness, I hate the thought of surrendering many present moments to read a book  so that I can learn how to live better in the present moment (the whole idea behind mindfulness). Oh, the irony...

Anyway, I challenge you to travel light this week, teacher friends. Heck, see if you can fit everything in your pockets, even.

Cheers,
Brandie

6 comments:

  1. I swear you are reading my mind and living my exact life. I do have a question, how do the papers get graded if you leave work at a set time and don't take work home? Do they just take longer to get back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy. What I do is pretty methodical, but easy and effective. I am going to make a video on it next week. Is there something specific to you that I can address?

      Delete
  2. Wonderful video and sooooo needed today! I'm returning to teaching from maternity leave and it's been a challenge to get back into the swing of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it spoke to you. That is a tough time, indeed. My postpartum depression and anxiety really started to show itself after I returned, so be kind to yourself, and don't forget to ask for help. Enjoy your sweet new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making the new blog post. I've been trying to not bring work home with me and leaving on time. I'm slowly getting there on both accounts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Kristy! Slow and steady tends to be more sustainable over the long run anyway :)

      Delete